Skip to main content

MA101: The toughest and the most important course at IIT Guwahati

This was the conversation which between me and my TA after endsem result....


Yes, I had got 11 marks out of 50 in endsem and my overall marks was 20 out of 100 which was about 5 more than average. People with 50 marks got the best grade i.e. AA(10 point), with 20 marks I got BC(7 point).

So this is how it happens and there in no need to worry everyone except few extraordinary guy scores in the same way in this course(like highest score during my time was around 85!!!!! There is a special types of grade for those guys called AS(consists of 10 points onlyπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ™Œ)).

Let's talk about the course now:

 Course consists of two parts. Premidsem part is Linear Algebra(most interesting and important but difficult to visualize) and after midsem you will have to study Real Analysis(Looks like differential calculus of your intermediate but that's the mistake everyone makesπŸ˜„πŸ˜„). Quiz2 consists of only real analysis and average marks  for that was around 0.8 out of 10πŸ˜…πŸ˜…(I got zero in that😎😎). I think now you got what I mean- "Jo dikhta hai wo hota nhi hai aur jo hota hai wo dikhta nhi hai". Linear Algebra part will look hard but actually that is the scoring(always remember compared to Real AnalysisπŸ˜†πŸ˜†).Don't worry pass marks never exceeded more than 7 out of 100 in last 4 years(during my time it was around 4 or 5, I am not joking believe me).

How to tackle the hurdle:

 First and the biggest problem with the linear algebra is its visualization. 

This guy can describe your problem very wellπŸ˜…πŸ˜….

 

 

  •  So Essence of linear Algebra  is the best YouTube playlist for Linear Algebra, which I got after the completion of the course😭😭(For me  3Blue1Brown is the best thing I got on YouTube). If you really want to understand the linear algebra this is the best way you could be taught. Here is a sample video on span and linear combination.  

  •  Tutorial problems are of extreme Importance. Here is the tutorial questions and solution for the linear algebra portion.


  •   Yutsumara  has a lots of solved problem which will be really helpful to understand the basic concepts  taught in the class(if you lucky enough unlike us then you will the best person to teach this topic).


  • For real analysis part generally we are provided more than enough assignment to practice and still if you want to practice more problems you can get previous year papers and Bartle and Sherbert  books in pdf form.  

Text Books and previous year papers: 

  • For linear algebra David Poole is the best book and everyone will say you to follow that book only. Its really unfortunate that we don't get slide and other stuffs for this part and you will have to be dependent on the books only. 



  •  HERE(google drive link for ma101) is the link for complete MA101 stuff including books and previous year tutorials  quiz , midsem and endsem papers with solutionπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹. Good  news is that people here are very lazy and they give almost same questions in tutorials every yearπŸ˜…πŸ˜…. Alternatively if you directly want to download complete material then you can use THIS link to directly download complete 1st semester material as zipped file.  

   ALL THE BEST AND THANKS FOR BEING HERE😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
 
 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

























Comments

  1. Nice description.
    That Kabil reference.
    Can you write more about your first year experiences and what mistakes you think you did?
    I would love to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I am trying to write more.

      Delete
  2. What is the sizes of master zip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

INTERNAL STRUGGLE TO JOIN :                                                         It was more than one month and the frustration of jee result was almost over. I was struggling to choose between IISc, Bangalore and IITG. Finally decided to leave the childhood dream of being a physicist and moved for a new journey of life.  BEAUTY OF THE CAMPUS :                                                     I don't think that I need to say anything about the beauty of the campus. Just one thing ; I fell in love with it within 12 hours. Keeping asides all those official works I was busy in taking selfies at different places. SERIOUS :) TRYING TO BE FUNNY  Don't get me wrong, these all images are not of the first day. Unluckily I can't find them. AT FRUIT STALL  AT DJ NIGHT EXPECTATIONS VS REALITY :                                                       When you join any of the IITs of or any big institutes first thing you expect is good academics.